World of Warcraft Cataclysm Expansion only 3 more sleeps!
I don’t know how many of you are gamers, but I am sure that most of you are either related to or are friends with a gamer who is just as excited as I am that the Cataclysm expansion for World of Warcraft is being released next week.
World of Warcraft is by far the most popular MMORPG online (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). World of Warcraft is developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment.
As a player in the game, there a number of goals and gameplay styles which you may choose to participate in. These range from battling other players to forming groups and completing missions together. The main path however is a story based system which leads the player through levelling a character from level 1 being the starting level to level 80 being the highest achievable level in the game right now. The goal as a level 80 is to participate in group “missions” or as we call it in game “raids”.
Here is my character:
For those of you unfamiliar with World of Warcraft, I’ve put together some stats about the game which I think show just how popular the game has become and how many people worldwide will be having a number of sleepless nights next week (just like me!).
World of Warcraft Stats:
- As of October 2010, there are more than 12 Million paying subscribers to World of Warcraft worldwide
- World of Warcraft currently holds a guinness world record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers
- World of Warcraft is often depicted in popular culture, one example being a South Park episode which won an Emmy titled “Make Love, Not Warcraft”
- World of Warcraft has inspired 2 board games
- World of Warcraft is also featured in a printed series of novels available worldwide which centre around the history and stories contained within the game
- In 2008, World of Warcraft was estimated to hold approximately 62% of the global MMORPG subscription market
- The first Warcraft game was released in 1994
As mentioned at the beginning of my post, Blizzard is releasing the latest expansion to the game on December 7, called Cataclysm. The expansion is available in both download and software form from local games retailers. So popular is the game that it is virtually impossible to secure a Collector’s Edition at this stage as most players have had their copies pre-ordered for a number of months (mine has been on pre-order for over a year!)
As a collector, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the Collector’s edition box set. You can check out the set here on the World of Warcraft official site: World of Warcraft Cataclysm
I’ll blog again soon about my thoughts on the new expansion, but if they hype and teaser videos are anything to go by, it should be nothing short of awesome!
Yours in Games,